Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Merry Grinch-mas Family Program

Well ... I did do a Christmas-y family program this year. A co-worker originally wanted to do a "Forgetful Santa" puppet show together, but being short-staffed, the program was altered to a one woman show. I offered to keep with the Christmas theme. It was advertised as such and in this way:

Family Night Capades: Merry Grinchmas - Whobalation!
It's a How the Grinch Stole Christmas Celebration. Come for the story! Come for the noise! Come dressed in jammies OR as Who-girls and boys! Come for a craft, a treat, and a game. During Family Night Capades -- no one week is the same. Children under age 7 must be accompanied by an adult.



The movement activities had to be really young-child friendly, and indeed, I had three not-quite-two-year-olds who came to the program! The Learning about the Heart station was really loosely based on the cut and tell -- just a lot of questions (Where is the heart? What does it look like? What does it do?) and movements (Make a fist -- that's the size of your heart. Find your pulse. Let's run in place and see if we can change our heartbeat.)

I let them do the stations as they please. Take them or leave them ... I use to ring a bell after every 10-15 min to let them know when to switch stations, but I haven't really had a problem with overflow, so now I just explain the stations and let them stay or leave and wander as they please. It works well, and they usually stay 45 minutes after the initial together activity, in this case the Grinch accompanied by music and a few computer projections. I always do stations at my family programs. It's my sneaky way of getting families to interact together ... and with the age ranges they can adapt what they need, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment