Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Moon Over Manifest and the Need for the Newbery

Recently on the ALSC listserv, there has been discussion concerning the purpose and practicality of the Newbery Award.  As always, it's interesting to have a national discussion on library related issues.  I am always presented with new thoughts.

Personally, I think the Newbery Award still has its place and importance as libraries support literary quality and innovation in conjunction with pairing people with information for education and entertainment. I also support the idea of ALSC creating a "Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers" list which would also be practical in reaching and "hooking" those non-readers.

When I went back to reading Moon Over Manifest, Sister Redempta's statement on page 112 caught my eye: "Start with the word manifest.  It's a verb as well as a noun.  Look it up."  I experienced a bit of an impulse to explore this idea and its presence throughout the novel in an academic way -- similar to how I had explored Tuck Everlasting as an undergraduate student.  This wasn't necessarily a negative reaction.  However, when I began to read the next chapter which flashed back to 1917, I decided it was time to start another book.

There are so many stories and so much information to explore, that I decided to put it down for awhile and explore something else.  There's a place for hooking up the right person to the right story or right information, and for me, this wasn't the right match at the moment.

I've switched gears and began The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan -- Pura Belpre Author Award Winner.  I am loving Sis's illustrations and the concrete poetry ...

No comments:

Post a Comment