Friday, February 26, 2010

Emotions and Cognition

Though slightly more busy than may be ideal, I feel that all is well. I have ideas and thoughts that are converging and are yielding exciting “new” concepts that I have yet to explore more fully.

Idea 1: From a recommendation by Emerging Leader presenter Maureen Sullivan, I’ve started to listen to the audio version of Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

Idea 2: I’ve also been preparing for my “Science Through Stories” presentation for OCTELA on March 27. As I began to explan the importance of story sharing as a mode for learning, I came across the following quotes:

“Stories differ from other narratives (arguments, scientific reports, articles) in that they orient our feelings and attitudes about the story content.” Mallan quoted in Haven, Kendall and MaryGay Ducey. Crash Course in Storytelling. (98)

“Story aids memory because it puts information into a meaningful context, to which other information can be ‘attached.’” From Norfolk, Sherry, Jane Stenson, and Diane Williams. The Storytelling Classroom: Applications Across the Curriculum.

What I initially assumed were two separate paths of learning have now found a crucial overlap. While Primal Leadership is awakening my mind to the importance and pervasiveness of emotional intelligence in organizational interactions, I am also seeing the crossover of the importance of "affective education" or using emotions to guide learning.

While this is not a totally new concept, I feel as if my mind had a personal "Eureeka!" moment.

I look forward to following this path as I finish forming my presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment