Saturday, September 26, 2009

Learn to Change

Tonight I attended the premiere of Steel Valley: Meltdown, a documentary covering "Our History ... Our Choices ... Our Future" in Youngstown, Ohio. (Thank you, Mom, for being an avid Vindicator reader and informing me about it.)

Having taken classes like Urban Sociology and Cultural Landscapes at Youngstown State University, the history and choices were not unfamiliar to me. However, I had not been fully aware of nor had I fully explored a possible future economy in green technology and information.

Both of these topics made me think of the Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County -- the green buildings we have been willing and courageous to build and the information services we have adapted during 100 plus years of service in our community. Being a believer in libraries as community centers, my only disappointment in the film then was not seeing at least one shot of the downtown, Carnegie-built Main library.

The other idea and phrase in tonight's documentary that caught my attention was "... learn to change ..." Throughout the documentary, interviewees -- leaders like Mayor Williams and Congressman Ryan and academics like Professor Linkon -- talked about the changes that have taken place in the community and the need to adapt to these changes. Most importantly, Ryan referred to the idea that unforeseen changes are yet to come, so we need to learn how to be adaptable and not just adapt right now.

We need to learn how to change.

Defend Youngstown by supporting YOUR Library!

No comments:

Post a Comment