Saturday, August 1, 2009

Report to the Ohio Library Council

Learning: Emerging Leadership

On July 11, 2009, the Emerging Leader Team A presented our "Lift Every Voice and Read: A Personal Library for Every Child" project to the Coretta Scott King Book Awards Committee. Our team's journey as well as our final proposal and products can be accessed at the Emerging Leader wiki. During this process, I also kept a professional blog relating my individual experiences in the Emerging Leader program.

While our July 11 presentation may mark the end of my official status as an "Emerging Leader," it also signifies the beginning or emergence of my professional involvement.

The Emerging Leader program has given me valuable experiences in virtual committee work. It has provided me with a more solid framework of what leadership requires. Most importantly, it has shown me the value of communication, particularly through the cultivation of my networking skills.

Though I have been able to communicate successfully to serve the public in the library environment and have been equally comfortable communicating with colleagues via email and listservs, I did not feel as practiced in connecting with colleagues during a conference setting. While I have always been interested in broadening my professional network, the Emerging Leader program has given me the insight, practice, and push needed to accomplish this goal.

Since July 11, I have contacted Alan Bailey, first chair of the Coretta Scott King Book Awards newly conceived Web Committee, who had expressed interest in making our Emerging Leader project ideas a reality. I have also been in contact with various members of the American Library Association's Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table as I discover new ways to continue to be involved in the library world on a national level. Additionally, I have plans to pursue other professional opportunities and contacts made during my Emerging Leader experience.

Thank you, Ohio Library Council's Board of Directors, for supporting my Emerging Leader experience and bringing me to a new level in my professional library involvements. I greatly appreciate this opportunity and look forward to working with you in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment