Friday, August 14, 2009

Opportunities

For the past two weeks, I have been thinking about and pursuing the next step of my Emerging Leader commitment and professional development -- leadership involvement in a local or national organization.

My first lead was from a connection I made at ALA with the outgoing chair of the Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT). This contact has also led me to the Editor of the EMIE Bulletin. I am currently bouncing ideas off him for a potential article.

A former YSU professor also encouraged me to pursue involvement in the Ohio Council of Teachers of English Language Arts (OCTELA). I submitted the PLYMC project I completed in February which paired 105 picturebooks to Ohio's early learning science standards. While my handouts will not be published, the President-Elect encouraged me to submit a presentation proposal for their March 2010 Conference.

I am also working with my employer to assess my ability to attend future ALA conferences. This helps me to fill out their committee volunteer forms and gives me an idea of how I can be involved on the national level.

Overall, I am very excited about these opportunities.

Who knows what will happen next?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Hayley! I do hope you will submit your presentation proposal to OCTELA for our spring conference. If you also want to have your work in our online newletter, just send it as an attachment to me and I'll send it along. A BETTER idea might be to write it up as an article and submit to our journal: OJELA (Ohio Journal of English Language Arts).

    Email me if you want to discuss anything further. Good Luck :-)
    Karen Tollafield OCTELA President-Elect

    ReplyDelete