Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Busi-ness

It's already the month of March ... Time seems to be moving faster now than it did last year at this time ...

One project that I just completed and wasn't involved with last year was preparing a presentation for local MYCAP Head Start teachers. I correlated 100 (preschool appropriate) picturebooks and some extension activities to the (Ohio) Science Early Learning Content Standards.

This was supplemented by a bibliography of print, online, and audio, science resources. During my presentation, I also made a point to highlight some different storytelling/presentation techniques of the selected picturebooks. For example, I presented a singing technique, magnet/memorized technique, using rhythm sticks technique, and audience participation/dramatization technique. Additionally, I made a point to explain how the pre-reading skills could be emphasized in the presented picturebooks.

While it was an intense project that diverted my focus and time away from my Emerging Leader (EL) involvement, I found it extremely enjoyable and educational. I have a new perspective on children's literature and programming, better knowledge of the collection here at the Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County, and a more intense desire to work with children.

It is interesting to note that our EL group has discussed the use of such resources (e.g. bibliographies by development/age, extension activities, collection of related resources) in our own marketing of the Coretta Scott King Awards.

This experience will no doubt play into my work on our EL project.

No comments:

Post a Comment